By Simson Garfinkel, Beth Rosenberg
“RFID is the 1st very important know-how of the twenty-first century. That’s an amazing accountability. How will we understand whilst and the way RFID is getting used? How will we make certain it's not misused? How do we workout selection over the way it impacts us for my part? How will we verify it really is secure? This e-book is a precious contribution to the continuing attempt to discover the answers.” —From the Foreword by means of Kevin Ashton, cofounder and previous govt director, Auto-ID middle; vice chairman, ThingMagic company
Radio frequency id (RFID) expertise is swiftly changing into ubiquitous as companies search to streamline offer chains and reply to mandates from key shoppers. yet RFID and different new instant identification applied sciences elevate remarkable privateness concerns. RFID: functions, safeguard, and privateness covers those concerns from each attitude and viewpoint.
Award-winning expertise journalist and privateness specialist Simson Garfinkel brings jointly contributions from each stakeholder community—from RFID providers to privateness advocates and past. His individuals introduce today’s major instant identity applied sciences, hint their evolution, clarify their promise, determine their privateness dangers, and review proposed solutions—technical, company, and political. The ebook additionally seems past RFID, reviewing the privateness implications of wireless, Bluetooth, shrewdpermanent playing cards, biometrics, new cell-phone networks, and the ever-evolving web. Highlights include
- How RFID and different instant identity applied sciences paintings
- RFID applications—from gasoline stations and pharmacies to the twenty-first century battlefield
- RFID, privateness, and the law—in the us and round the world
- RFID, safeguard, and commercial espionage
- How Bluetooth and wireless can music members, without or with their permission
- Technical strategies to instant identity privateness concerns—their values and limitations
- Stakeholder views from EPCglobal, Inc., Gemplus, The Procter & Gamble corporation, and different leaders
- The way forward for citizen activism on privateness issues
Clear, balanced, and available, this is often the integral primer for everybody fascinated about RFID: companies imposing or comparing RFID; expertise providers responding to consumer matters; and policymakers and privateness advocates who desire a deeper realizing of the expertise and its implications.
Includes contributions from
AIM international, Inc. CASPIAN middle for Democracy and know-how EPCglobal, Inc. The Galecia team Gemplus IDAT Consulting & schooling Institute for the longer term Matrics, Inc. MIT desktop technology & man made Intelligence Laboratory MIT Media Laboratory OATSystems privateness magazine The privateness Rights Clearinghouse The Procter & Gamble corporation RSA Laboratories UCLA division of Geography Wayne kingdom collage legislation School